Today, I will introduce some tips for playing stand-up paddle board at an entry level.
How to get on the paddle board?
1) Push the board into the shallow water area and stand next to it. Be careful not to insert the tail fin into the sand, which is a common mistake made by novices.
2) Put one foot on the board first with a kneeling position, which can lower the center of gravity and make it easier to maintain stability.
3) Kneel on the sup and adjust your position until you feel the board is stable enough.
How to stand on the board？
1) Slowly stand on one foot, keeping the foot and knee on the same vertical line. Hold the paddle board to help stabilize yourself.
2) Your feet are shoulder-width apart, and your knees are slightly bent to adjust your center of gravity.
3) Keep your head and shoulders steady and upright, and use the strength of the waist and hips to control the paddling. Look forward and don't keep staring at your feet.
1) How to paddling
Insert the paddle into the water, keeping your arms straight. Press the handle of the oar with one hand, pull the oar blade back to the ankle with the strength of the waist, and then leave the water. Repeat the operation.
Straight forward: You need to alternate strokes on both sides of the board, four or five times on one side, and then switch to the other side.
Turning: You can always paddle on one side. Paddle to the left, turn the paddle to the right, and vice versa. The further the blade is drawn, the greater the turn.
2) Reverse paddling method
Reverse paddle is mainly used to slow down, stop and turn, and it is basically the opposite of forward paddle.
Just like paddling forward, keep your arms straight and use the strength of your waist to paddle from back to front.
3) Sweeping-paddling method
The sweeping-paddling method is very effective for the steering of the sup when it is stationary or moving.
If you want to turn left, use the strength of the waist, legs and hips to draw a half arc from the head to the tail of the board on the right side, so that the board will turn to the left, and vice versa.
4) Side-pull paddling method
The side pull method is mainly used for docking or changing course.
If you need to land on the right, turn your shoulder to the right, insert the blade into the water on the right side of the paddle, and pull it toward the paddle to make the paddle move to the right.
The tail fin is not very friendly to lateral strokes, and it will make the tail move slower than the head. You can insert the oar closer to the tail.
5) Bow-paddling method
The bow-shaped paddle method is suitable for quickly adjusting the route when moving. If you need to turn right, rotate your body to the left, right shoulder forward. Fully insert the paddle into the water on the left side of the board head, and then draw a large arc to the right side of the board tail.
What to do if you fall into the water？
Despite your best efforts to maintain balance on the board, you will still fall into the water inadvertently, even for professional surfer.
If you fall into the water, remember to fall into the water, not on the board. Falling on the board is more likely to cause injury. When falling into the water, try to grab your blade. If you lose it, first find your sup, and then use your hands to replace the blade. So I suggest everyone, be sure to fasten the foot rope, this can help you get back to the board as soon as possible when you fall into the water.
How to get on the board after falling into the water?
Grasp the handle of the paddle board with one hand, and then move forward while pulling the handle. Grasp the edge of the board with the other hand and slide yourself onto the board.
If it is the first time to play paddleboard, it is necessary to remind all novices:
- Try to choose a still water lake or pond without obstacles such as boats and buoys;
- Choose a sunny day without wind;
- Don't paddle alone. Make an appointment with friends and take care of each other;
- Choose the waters you are familiar with, and don't row too far;
- Be sure to tie the foot ropes and wear a life jacket.
Recommend a paddle board that is very suitable for beginners to play.